Kalamazoo neighborhood evacuated after underground gas line fire

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — Authorities evacuated several homes in a Kalamazoo neighborhood Thursday evening after a ruptured gas line caught fire.

Police and firefighters evacuated all homes within a one-block radius of the fire, and police diverted traffic away from the area.

Firefighters reported a 4-inch (10-centimeter) natural gas line ruptured and was burning underground in a construction zone, the Kalamazoo Gazette said.

Gas meters to nearby homes were shut off as a precaution.

Natural gas utility Consumers Energy was called in to help with the gas leak.

Related News

From Archive


{{ error }}
{{ comment.comment.Name }} • {{ comment.timeAgo }}
{{ comment.comment.Text }}